Friday, June 08, 2007

I was reading my Systematic Theology textbook today. In it Wayne Grudem postulated that humans have higher reasoning skills than animals. I concurr greatly. Then, for evidence of this he wrote, "you will never find a group of Chimpanzees sitting around a table arguing Arminianism versus Calvinism or the doctrine of the Trinity." I think that he disproved his point.

Animals do what they were created to do. If Grudem's hypothesis, namely, "that we are created to glorify God" is true, then we as humans fail to serve our purpose when we argue of the doctrine of the trinity or discuss the merits or Arminianism and Calvinism. If our purpose is to glorify God, than arguing about God would be a sin. Jesus never commanded us to figure God out, he commanded us to go into all the world. ( I understand we must be able to give a reason for the hope that we have, but I don't believe that any complex theological viewpoint is the reason scripture is talking about.)

Maybe animals have higher reasoning skills that humans. Maybe they have figured out that living our God's purpose for thier lives is better than arguing over who God is.

1 comment:

Meredith said...

I think arguing about Arminianism and Calvinism can be glorifying to God. I think Shelton said that if it's touched on in the Bible, then we need to study it to the best we can. While hateful arguing is certainly a sin, meaningful discussion and even debate can help us learn more about God. The more we examine the nature of God, the more we become like Him, I think. So, anyhoo, that's why I think arguing about God can be glorifying to God. :)