Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Holy Week

I have been thinking a lot about Holy Week. We built a large faux stone doorway for a skit we are doing on Thursday, and have been able to do most of our work and store our supplies in the sanctuary. It will only be used on Thursday and Friday. What exactly did Jesus do on Tuesday evening after Palm Sunday. I mean, it was the last Tuesday he would have before his death.

We generally leave the "and descended into hell" section out of our apostle's creed - but I think we should keep it. Jesus knew he would be resurrected, according to the scriptures, but, he wept bitterly anyway. He knew that he would go through hell. Whether he went to the physical place or not - he went to hell. Being nailed to that cross, bleeding, rejected, dying - having the sin of the world on his shoulders.

Knowing that some day some punk named Michael Airgood would continually turn his back on Christ in favor of sin, Jesus still died for that punk. He died for me. He knew how often - to the exact number - I would deny Christ to wallow in my own sinful filth ... and yet he died for me to be free from death.

I wonder if Jesus paid special attention to Judas that week. How awkward must that have been.
"So, uhmm, Judas ... got any plans for this weekend (like betraying me)?
Ok, have a fun time at the temple (you are hammering the nail yourself).
Judas, I just want you to know that I love you. (I love you enough to die for you - if you will only accept my death as the payment for what you will do for me - you won't have to kill yourself. What don't you understand Judas. What you did deserves death - and mine will fulfill that.)"


I know from my trips overseas how sorrowful those goodbyes are - and I know I'm coming back after a delightful month or so. How hard must it have been for Jesus. " Well, I'm going to go die for all of you - hey Peter, by the way, have a nice time denying me. It's okay - I forgive you." As sarcastic as I think Jesus was - I can't imagine how hard it was to keep things under wrap for that week.

"It's okay. I'm dying for you. You don't know it yet - you will never understand - and you might never accept it. But, it's okay. I'm dying for you."

No comments: