Sunday, April 16, 2006

Last Easter I cried. My Russian host mother had fallen asleep for the train ride to Moscow. We left at 5 in the morning to go to Moscow to see a Ballet. It was Easter morning, and here I was sitting by myself on a train filled with Russian people, the only one of whom I knew being asleep. That wasn't why I cried. That would be a silly reason to cry.

During Holy Week I did the best I could. I snuck some peach nectar and black bread while I was alone at home on Thursday and had my own communion celebration. On Friday I wore black. I didn't bathe from Thursday until Sunday. (Not that uncommon for me while I was in Russia - you must love enculturation!) But I concsiously chose to wait those 4 days to bathe. From Thursday when Jesus washed their feet to Sunday when even their hearts were clean. I didn't have a palm frond or an easter lilly.

I was on the train and the sun began to rise. Over the birch trees I watched that sun come out - so gloriously bright. I watched as the sun rose above the trees and I was suddenly struck by the idea that Jesus died for everyone who was on that train. Jesus died for me, for Lena - my host mother who was a committed communist and very leary of Christianity, and for all of the strangers I didn't know. I started to cry. I hummed a very chords of a favorite hymn and then spent the next few hours in prayer.

During the day I saw a ballet, went to historic cathedrals, and watched the sun set over the Volga. My day went on as normal (hey, it was normal for me), but I knew that He is Risen. He is Risen Indeed.

This Easter I went to a sunrise service, 2 "normal church services", and then ate a lovely Easter meal with friends from church and school. My friend Ben wore short-shorts to play racquetball, my girlfriend and I held hands while we watched "Red Eye", and we toured my "adopted families" giant home.

I want every Easter to be filled with adventure and suprise. I can't think of a better thing to have on the Holiday. Chocolate bunnies are nice, but I want to feel the wind of adventure that the women at the tomb felt when they found it empty. We are an Easter People. Praise God.

1 comment:

Pastor Bill said...

Michael, I like how you think. And I pray that every Easter is "filled with adventure." It will be if you are open to it.
Sorry it took me so long to get caught up on reading (I didn't realize how much I had missed) but Holy Week is crazy when you're me...but I'm me...but, well, you know what I mean...