Saturday, April 29, 2006

I'm singing in church tomorrow. I'm not prepared to sing the song. I forgot that I was supposed to practice with my accompaniast on Wednesday. She had choir practice anyway and was just going to fit me in, but I still felt really bad. Kelly and I practiced it, but I have still only heard the accompaniement once for it. I know it will be okay, but I would have liked my last song to be a little bit better.

I'm leaving my church in Toccoa. I love it dearly. I will, of course, retain an active role in ministry there (drama, youth, advanced planning?) , but I will stop attending worship there. I will be attending worship near Gainesville at The Water's Edge UMC. I think that God is trying to teach me that sometimes we have to leave when things aren't all tied up in a pretty package yet. My "swan song" won't be the best - but God will still honor it(I hope). I know I'm going where God wants me to go.

I have a meeting at Joe's house this week and next - I'm excited to get to know the other committed individuals. I'm glad that God is in control, because I'm sure not.

My drama ministry had another disapointing practice. Only 2 girls showed up, and Ben wasn't there. I'm not sure that we will be able to pull this interpretive dance thing off. Too late now. I asked Matthew to get the girls' names and phone numbers. I've been trying to hand off more responsibilities. I tend to hold on to responsibilites - it is a big step for me to trust someone else to do something that I could do myself. It makes it more difficult when that person I've trusted lets me down. Another reason to regret missing my practice time for my song. Hope it goes well.

1 comment:

Pastor Bill said...

The Water's Edge is where you need to put your energy right now...

One of the hardest things to do in ministry is to pass off responsibilities (especially if the one taking the hand-off drops it...to use a football analogy - Lori would be so proud) Still, it's one of the big things you have to learn to do. The Apostles passed off a HUGE chunk of pastoral ministry in order to focus on preaching and teaching (people in most churches today would be horrified if the pastor proposed what the Apostles did...)

Anyway, the sooner you can get comfortable with doing it, the better off you will be. Some things will have to fail - and you'll have to let them - but some people will find themselves empowered in ways they never were before in ministry...and that's a HUGE blessing.