Thursday, August 10, 2006

I read the Newsweek article about Billy Graham. Not the best written Newsweek piece I've ever seen. It was great for me, because I share a lot of my views - those which are seen as outlandishly liberal at Toccoa Falls- with Billy Graham, the most renowned evagelist in Christianity today. He isn't willing to say whom will be in Heaven - just that God loves everyone and died for the whole world. It doesn't matter what labels we put on people - God loves everyone.
Graham doesn't believe the Bible is necessarily literal. A good bit of it might be figurative. A view that could potentially get me kicked out of Toccoa Falls. I feel that my viewpoints have been legitimatized. (Is that a word? Well, at least you know what I mean.) What I believe is seen as far left wing at my college. I believe that my beliefs largely line up with those of Jesus. I wouldn't take them as my own unless I believed this. I'm going to try and talk and right a good bit less about politics. Graham notes that there are some issues that he feels Christians should be outspoken about. To me that includes racism, gay rights, and abortion. But, a lot of politics (which presidential candidate, stem cell research, taxes) don't really matter in the long run.

No comments: