Sunday, August 20, 2006

It was an exciting day today. I went to church this morning at Toccoa First United Methodist. I brought 3 college kids with me and a good friend's mother. This woman is an independent fundementalist Baptist who isn't too pleased that her daughter is worshipping (if we could call it that) at a Methodist church. I was a little nervous that my friend's mom would hate it and forbid her from attending. The woman really enjoyed the service and the pastor used more scripture than ever before. It was a God thing, plain and simple.

I was the only college kid who was there for Sunday School - so I went to the "Jeriatrics for Jesus" class and hung out. I told them that people in my generation love giving to help people but hate giving towards buildings and maintenance during their discussion on tithing. They were glad that I joined them. My favorite quote was, " Jesus said, ' We ain't not supposed to worry about nothins."

Pastor Charles sermon was completely different at the traditional service - and even better than the contemporary service. At the early service when the altar was open a young father from the congregation went forward and his elementary aged son went down to the altar and prayed with him. I cried thinking of the lack of a father as a spiritual leader. I cried during a hardware store commercial where a father lets his son help him even though it would be more hassle than help. I swear to God that I'm going to be a better dad than my father was. It won't be hard.

I went to my "adopted family's" house here in Toccoa. We had Thanksgiving dinner and then Aileen taught me how to make southren yeast rolls and Jen and I made chocolate chip cookies for everyone. We watches "Luther" together. He was a brilliant nut job. I really enjoyed it and feel very strong - knowing that if I follow God He will use me ... even if I'm a nut job.

I went out for coffee with some kids from youth group. I love coffee. I love kids from my youth group. It was nice. I missed a dorm meeting and then read. I'm reading "The Secret Life of Bees", which is kicking butt so far. My roomate and I are getting along pretty well this year. He is even letting me use his computer. I think that Christ has worked in his life a good bit this summer. I'm glad I serve a God that works miracles.

No comments: