Saturday, August 26, 2006

See, the problem is ... that ... well, ... I think I'm lying. I took a boy home from a party. His family lives in Toccoa and he is a freshman who still lives at home. He told me about how much he doesn't like going to church. All of his reasons were honest and understandable. I invited him to my church, but he told me he wasn't allowed to go to any church other than the one his parents went to. His curfew is 10PM. We joked about me kidnapping him on Sunday mornings for church. I feel that my church in Toccoa is a very loving and exciting community of believers. I want my friend to want to go to church. -None of this is the lie.

He invited me in to meet his parents. In all of our discussions I tried to portray Toccoa First United Methodist as a conservative church (it is) and that I am practically a conservative (i'm not). I know that if his parents find out how liberal I am that they would have major problems with me taking him to my Methodist church.

Their son had danced on tables, grinding against people of both genders, just a half of an hour ago - and here I am sitting in his living room telling his mother how conservative I am so that she would think I am a good influence. (FOR THE RECORD - We all stood on tables to dance, I didn't grind with anyone, I still consider myself a good influence, and I never actually say that I'm conservative.)

I skirt around issues, laugh at the most outrageous liberal viewpoints, and don't even approach the fact that we danced at the party. I'm not ashamed of being liberal, but when most C&MA conservatives find out I'm liberal they put me in a category somewhere between Rosie O'donnel and The Great Satan. There isn't much room to breath in that category. Checklists come out, and soon the fact that I support gay rights, abortion (rape, incest, and mother's health), immigration, and most democrats comes out. Then it goes to religion and the notion that I'm not sure about the inerrancy of scripture comes up. It just goes down hill.

Once the truth is out I can't lie. But, I feel so justified in skirting the issue. If I hadn't lied my friend would be in trouble for talking to me. It was only a little sin?

No comments: