Monday, August 28, 2006

Of Grace and Pasty Legs

I wore shorts to class today. I wouldn't have - I usually follow the rules - but, a woman preached (first sin) in my Sunday School class about Grace (second sin) on Sunday. She told the story of a pastor who had lost his daughter and, seeing the plague that read,"My Grace is Sufficient," - he prayed that God would make His grace sufficient. The voice of God whispered back, "I can't make my grace any more sufficient than it already is. I can't make it more 'enough' ." The woman went on to tell of her battle with cancer. "When I found out I had cancer 6 years ago, I knew - My Grace is Sufficient. When I went in for my 6th year of testing to make sure it was in remission God wispered to me that - My Grace is Sufficient. When I found out I had cancer again I rememberd. - My Grace is Sufficient."

So, it got me thinking about my own life and how I live it out. I preach daily that God's grace is sufficient. I decided that I must also preach it with my life. So, I decided that I would wear shorts. I was followed by the thought all of yesterday, "If God's grace is sufficient to cover all of your sins - why isn't His grace sufficient to cover your pasty legs." At Toccoa Falls we aren't allowed to wear shorts. There's no biblical mandate - it is just common knowledge that only satanists wear shorts. I decided that although wearing shorts isn't Toccoa Falls biggest problem - it was one that I had to face. I wore shorts and stood up for grace - a grace sufficient to cover all of my sins ... and my pasty legs.

1 comment:

Pastor Bill said...

true love covers a multitude of shins...um...sins...heh...
It's amazing to me that sometimes God's "sufficient grace" isn't enough for some people. But I think they want something else - something more selfish or more pleasurable. Well, I guess that's from experience. Sometimes God saying, "Enough" just isn't for me... But His grace is sufficient to cover even that sin...