Wednesday, August 30, 2006

On Missions


I strongly support missionaries. I plan on being a missionary. When I was younger I always thought that missionaries only lived in grass huts in Africa. When I decided to be a missionary I had my heart set on South Africa. When I felt so called by God to go to Russia I dismissed it entirely. There aren't any grass huts in Russia. Silly God. I read a book about missionaries in the 1800's who went to the Pacific, and I conceded that there could be grass huts in other parts of the world. I didn't meet a missionary until after I accepted the call to become a missionary. I have still never actually met a United Methodist missionary. But, I knew they lived in grass huts. And ate monkey brain. I wasn't thrilled about the monkey brain, but I could live with the grass huts.

I have since that time been in Russia, India, and China. I have still never slept in a grass hut. I have done a good bit of missionary service. For the time being I feel called to go to Russia and work with the "New Russians" the elitist wealthy class. The gospel is penetrating the very heart of Russia, but the gospel message rarely transcends economic barriers without the help of an outsider. I pray that by the time I leave for Russia without a reture ticket that the United Methodist Church will be huge. I pray that in my life I can start one church of upper class Russians. I pray that I can have a lasting impact on their lives - that Christ would transform them to understand that money isn't everything.

In Bible Study at church today some people were upset that we felt we had to go overseas to do missions. They felt that Stephens County needs enough help as it is. I agree that Stephens County needs a good bit of help, but I also know that I'm following God's call. People can detest thos with a missionary spirit for not staying in America, but ultimately we all have to follow God's leading. He has enough people He is calling that if they all followed that call Stephen's County could be turned on it's head.

I may never get the grass hut I dreamed of. I will, however, get to evangelize to an un-reached people group - giving them the gift of the gospel in a culturally relevant fashion. Praise God.

No comments: