Sunday, August 06, 2006

What a weekend. I drove home from Georgia this weekend with my parents. We were in two different vehicles. My personal favorite moment from the weekend was when we didn't book a site for our pop-up (what? I didn't tell you we were sleeping in a pop up?) and spent hours looking for a site while dad continued to make the decision that we should just keep driving until we find one. I just wanted to sit down and cry. My second favorite moment was when mom made me slow down after I passed dad when he was going 55. I slowed down to 55 until dad passed me and then called me to yell at me for going so slow on the interstate! It was maddening. We finally found a place in WVA!

So, now that I'm finished complaining: We met this kid named Matthew. He was a slightly retarded redneck, but I loved this kid. He helped us put up our pop-up and then hung around with us. While I was cooking dinner he gave me this gem of a quote(stated in a strong southern drawl), "I used to play with fire before I became a Christian. But, after I was baptised I gave up all my fire making tools." I love this quote. I realize that I love honest faith. I , in no way shape or form, support the notion that Christians can't enjoy fire. However, I love the fact that this boy changed an aspect of his life after deciding on faith in Christ. This is one of the few incidences I have seen in the south where a person who accepted Christ decided to change.

You see, In my conservative strict Christian college the only ones who make it are those who didn't have anythign to change. Almost everyone grew up in a Christian home, and yeah, a few had a rebelious stage, but none have shown any radical change - or at least they won't admit it. People at my college fail to understand that those in the process of change need help and encouragement.

I want to see more honest faith in God. I saw a good bit of it this summer in my senior high campers. I see it in so many of my closest friends. At Toccoa Falls I have two groups of friends - one group is comprised of wonderful, loving, and devout Christians. The other group includes people who haven't yet experienced the grace of Christ in it's fullest form. I want the two to collide, and I hope I can make that happen.

No comments: