Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I'm one of those painfully tolerant people. Painful because I am tolerant of everything except intolerance. I realize the full extent of irony contained in my current position - I think I like it. I believe that when we embrace diversity we truly embrace God.

John chapter 1 translated into Spanish says that in the beginning was the verb ... not the word, but the verb. In Irian Jaiya Jesus became the "sweet potato of life" because in their culture they don't eat bread, only sweet potatoes. I believe that we will never fully understand the Bible until it has been translated into every language. I believe that we learn more truth about God from every culture. I am disgusted because the church I love so dearly leaves no room for diversity. I consider it a heavy sin issue that there isn't a single black person in my church.

I find that a difference in theological opinions is a beautiful thing. I get worried when a church has no diversity theologically. I love diversity.

Bill, if I remember correctly you once posted(or preached or conversed) about a friend who went to a tolerance training meeting where everyone had to go around the table and discuss how they had become more tolerant. When it was his turn he explained that he had become less tolerant - but more loving. I like that story. I love considering myself a tolerant person - in a postmodern world you have to be or no one will listen to you ... but I think in reality I handly my tolerance with love.

1 comment:

Pastor Bill said...

Hey Michael - that was Saleem Ghubril (might be misspelling that) who is the director of the Pittsburgh Project. He's an incredibly gifted and charismatic man - and full of the Holy Spirit. He lives what he says - he is not tolerant in the current sense of the word - but he is so grace-filled and loving. THAT is what I think Christian tolerance really should be. I might disagree with you - on even the most fundamental levels - but I'm going to love you and be open and real and transparent with you anyway...