Sunday, October 29, 2006

I love Maya Angelou. Her book is one in which I become angry that I'm nearing completion. Her writing is mezmorizing, her style hypnotic, and her verbosity unreal. She can spin a metaphor like no one else.

A man at church told me the story of integrating schools in his southern city in the 60s. He was one of the white kids who went to a black school. We always hear about the black kids who were brave enough to march into all white schools. I was fascinated to hear Jeff talk about being bussed to an area of town he had never been to before to go to an (formally) all black school. He had to give up all of the modern equipment his white school had. He told me that they passed the bus full of black kids going to the white school. The white bus was silent when they pulled up to the school building. I think my church needs to work on racial diversity more.

I had a great day, the drama group did excellent with the skit (it was the talk of the day), and I had a lot of fun with my friends swinging in the evening. I love being Methodist.

No comments: