Monday, October 02, 2006

I love the woman at Wal-mart. Her name is Lorene. She is an older woman, her daughter and grandson don't have a lot of money. She always has a great smile on her face, but is obviously always overcome by the high speed which embodies Wal mart.
I always strike up a conversation with her - and since I'm in Wal mart at least once a day (It's so sad, but I'm in college and ... well, if I could think of another reason to justify daily Walmart runs I wouldn't be apologizing) I have a lot of oppertunities to talk to her. She read my hoodie today. "Healing comes to the broken places first." She was definetly caught off guard by how profound it was. I wish that it was more appropriate for a college kid to share his faith with a Walmart employee. I wish I could have asked her to take her break and I could have explained my own heart's brokeness and how Christ healed it.
I have two kids with whom I work every day. Clifford can't write his name yet (he did it once, but forgot), but his mother is certain he is the smartest boy Kindergarten has ever seen. Chloe lives in a house that doesn't have electricity or running water. I want to share Jesus with both of them. I want Clifford to see so much joy in my face when he finally gets his name down well that he will remember it for the rest of his life. I hope that some day when I visit Toccoa I will see him in Walmart, and he will remind me of my joy filled face. I want to tell him then that it was Jesus that gave me that joy.

There's a Brave Saint Saturn song that deals with all of these emotions. It's called "Heart Still Beats" and it talks about people who seem so lost and yet they still need to hear about Jesus (so profound.) I cried on my way to school this morning thinking about the fragile hearts behind the smiling faces of my kids at work. I keep hoping that they will see -someday- that I loved so generously because of the Christ I live for.

1 comment:

Pastor Bill said...

Heart Still Beats

The girl in the alley kneels with exhaustion
She's guarded by the skinny guy who limps from some infection
Behind a veil of bleached thin hair her eyes tell a story
Like a photo of Berlin, December 1944
She's looking for a handout, she's been high for several weeks now
She's too far gone for whoring and the money just gave out

And her heart still beats inside
And the blood runs in her veins
A remnant of life remains
Her heart still beats inside

The man finally comes to the door, I've seen him several times
He always looks pissed off and his sunglasses stay on
I think he got his biceps and tattoos while in prison
And it doesnt seem to bother him when he says "go to hell"

And his heart still beats inside
The blood runs in his veins
A remnant of life remains
His heart still beats inside

The thought it comes to my mind, to somehow intervene
But it could bring me trouble, and what can I do anyway?
It's hard to be effective when it happens so often
To see a life unraveling, through drawn venetian blinds
I'm sickened by compassion, I'm stifled by my limitations
Anesthetic apathy, come take the pain away

And my heart still beats inside
The blood runs in my veins
A remnant of life remains
And my heart still beats inside

Oh God, we need you here
We're sinking fast and we dont care
The evidence is all around me, on both sides of my door
Our hearts beat