Thursday, October 12, 2006

There is going to be a Revival near Toccoa. I've seen signs hung up around town for it. There's one in McDonalds and one on campus. They scheduled the Holy Spirit at least 3 months in advance and if He doesn't show up they are going to be totally pissed at His agent. I'm sorry. I shouldn't speak so much blasphemy. Many places schedule revival services. They had one at the First Alliance Church, not an actual revival mind you, but a scheduled set of services labeled revival. There's a big red sign that says "REVIVAL" with an arrow. The church was at the end of a dead end street - the advertisement directly under the sign that said as much.

I'm not entirely certain where this particular Revival is going to take place or whether they booked the Holy Spirit. I wouldn't have noticed it except that there is a sign in every fast food joint except "The Huddle House." The House de la Huddle is a southern restaurant a lot like Waffle House, but a whole bunch sleazier. I would recommend you google it, but you might get herpes. It is a chain "greasy spoon." Shocking, grotesque really; but I love it there. The one in Toccoa still has a bullet hole above the grill from the last shootout. The cops always show up when I'm there. Everyone is outside smoking thanks to the new Georgia Anti-Smoking Ban, but you formerly swam in Tobacco smoke. They have manufactured mediocrity. I'm there at least once a week.

The people at the Huddle House don't know Jesus. Oh, they know about Him - they're southerners - everyone here knows about Jesus. But, none of the people at Huddle House show that they have a relationship with Him. I take friends there for the cultural experience. I try to tip very well - regardless of the service.

I get two visuals of the church when I'm at the Huddle House:

One is how we do church - mediocrity being the rule and not the exception. I read once about a man doing a song and guitar piece as a church solo - stopping mid song to re-tune and then continueing again out of tune. This isn't abnormal. We do things in a very sloppy fashion in our churches. We don't put a lot of pride in our ministry for God. Sometimes our churches represent Huddle House - and that's bad.

The other visual is for whom we do church. That Revival service wasn't advertised at Huddle House because they didn't want those people at their revival. I pray for, and know most of the staff, by name. They know that I go to the falls, and that means I'm a Christian. They also know I tip well and give generously. I hope that someday I can share my faith with some of the workers there. I hope that my life will have been an effective enough witness. Sometimes for whom we do church looks a lot like Huddle House - and that's good.

No comments: