Monday, October 30, 2006

On diseases and evangelizism

The woman who taught Sunday school said that since she was a little girl her prayer was that she would take one new person to heaven with her for each year she was alive. It's an ambitious prayer. I think that often we don't see the fruits - and sometimes we play a huge role and never know it. I have personally "led" 4 people to Christ. I prayed the prayer with 4 people. I can't help but think that when I get to heaven I will find out just what an impact I made. I don't count any of the people from my mission trips where we did street evangelism. I don't count any of my friends who I have helped through difficult times. Our system only counts the person who prays the "sinner's prayer" with the sinner. Our system is thoroughly un-Biblical. The "sinner's prayer" isn't in the Bible. Paul discusses planting the seeds, watering, and harvesting - but God makes it grow.

I think of my mother. I don't think she has ever personally "led anyone to Christ." I think this because she is pretty shy and because I think she would have told me about it. However, I know a lot of families in church who are there because they saw that my mother lived live differently. They saw the peace of Christ in her life and wanted that for themselves - so they go to church now. Thinking only of the kids in youth group and their respect for my mother - they all know from where her joy flows.

Most students at TFC prayed the "sinner's prayer" when they were small children. Their parents had them pray the prayer. My mom never did that. She lived her life boldly for Christ - and always gave Him the glory. She made sure that my sister and I went to events where we were given the chance to make a decision for Christ when we were old enough.

(and now for the diseases) 7 kids in the kindergarten class I work with are out of school with pink eye. No one made an intentional effort at giving pink eye away. A sick person was in proximity of non-sick people.

I honestly believe that if Christians would just interact on a daily basis with non-Christians the world would be drastically different. I'm ready to go outside of the 4 walls of my church.

No comments: