Saturday, May 27, 2006

I brought my friend Dustin down to camp Glisson from Toccoa for the weekend. The poor kid is stuck there for weeks without anyone to hang out with. We went to The Davinci Code. I liked the movie a lot, and can see both sides of the argument. I could see a great number of very confused people seeking out answers that don't exist. It is a fun story to tell, and really a page turner in book form I'm sure. I don't entirely know that the church should have made such a big deal about it. Although it is very harsh on catholicism, this book won't phase Christianity as a whole.

Tomorrow I am taking Dustin back to Toccoa and going to the early service at my church. I will get my first campers of the summer. My co (Martha) and I have planned a fun week for our senior high campers, I have done several weeks of camping, and am well prepared. I am, however, not a little bit nervous. Each of these kids will be in high school. I remember those days - where baggage just isn't cool. Everyone has to pretend that he or she has everything together. In college, especially being surrounded by great Christian men and women - I have learned so much about myself and my walk with God because I have been able to get rid of baggage. So how do I communicate a message of healing and help to kids who refuse to admit their brokeness? I have one week to get a message of a savior who loved each and everyone of them so much that he was willing to die, even on a cross, for him or her. How do I balance that all out? Why should they listen to me? I'm only a year or two older than most of these guys, and I don't really have my life that much more together. I love God, and I know that this is what He has for my life. I hope to struggle victoriously with these people - to go with them in this journey of hope.

See, I'm a United Methodist, and we believe that each person is on a path. My hope is that I can help people move on that path towards God. We United Methodists are all moving in the same direction. Some are in the left hand lane, some in the right, but we all move towards God. We hope to pick up hitch hikers - we hope to pick up each other. We aim to love - victoriously.

No comments: