Thursday, May 18, 2006

It's a two post kind of day.

People gave their testimonies today in chapel. I didn't get a chance to share mine, but I am glad, because I have decided to share it with all of you. I believe that Christians need to share their story of faith more often.

I grew up in a Christian house. My mom was a United Methodist organist and I was in the church everyday growing up. I thought for a long time that attending church was good enough. My sister was always perfect (at least I thought. Come to find out she got a B once in a class and no one ever told me. I love her now.) and I could never live up to the standards she set. It didn't help that my parents wanted me to be in the exact same activities she had participated in.

I got "saved" at church camp when I was 10 or 11. I became really judgemental towards others - especially those outside of the Christian faith, but also those who were Christians but weren't Jesus Freaks. I was so unloving, and now I look back on it and cringe. I gave everything over to God when I was 14 at a summer camp. I guess that's an unfair statement because to this day I still hold some things back, but I gave up my judgement seat and that has made all of the difference.

I went through a lot of really hard times before and after I became a Christian. I work at an elementary school and I was working with a 4th grader: He had read every biography in the library. I had done that by third grade. He was very intelligent but picked on so much that he was a recluse. I hated everyone in my class. He cut himself to get rid of the pain. I did, too. This kid was me when I was in 3rd grade. I wanted to look him right in the eyes and tell him about my life. I think if I hadn't accepted Christ as my savior I probably would have killed myself. I know it's hard to hear - I was alwas so happy, etc. But, it's the truth. God saved my life literally and actually. I still want to tell that kid that living for yourself is stupid - Christ is the difference that took me from there to where I am now.

I try and live my life for God now. I sometimes look back at my life and just stand in awe. Christ has used me so much just because I have been willing to love others. Here I stand, I have been a Christian for 8 or 9 years now. I am a liberal, evangelical, social justice United Methodist going for a degree in missions. WTF? God has taken me to Russia, India, China, the mountains of Georgia, and so many other place. It kills me when someone refuses to accept Christ because he or she doesn't want to give up fun things. Living in Christ is so amazingly fun. We sang a song in chapel tonight about being undignified for Jesus, and letting it all hang out. We all skipped around the chapel and made fools of ourselves. It was great. Who needs hangovers, when you can have that same ecstatic feeling with joy in the morning?

No comments: