Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I'm a dirty whore. I hope that no 8 year old finds this blog to read that word, but it's the truth. I realize how awkward this must sound coming from a college aged guy who is single and celibate, but really I'm a whore.
I re-read my favorite bible story today. Hosea was told by God to marry a prostitute. In The Message she is referred to as a whore. Then Gomer, his wife, bears 3 children and leaves him to be a prostitute.
God tells Hosea to buy her back from whichever guy she was with, and Hosea bought her back.

Everytime I turn my back on God I remember this story. This line where God says, "Hey, you're a whore - but I love you enough to send my son to die in your place." I might be able to die for a few select friends if the situation arose, but would I be willing to die for a prostitute? Here God sends the very clear message that our sin makes us comparable to a common whore in the eyes of God. But, for some reason he loves us. He was willing to buy us back at a very high (the highest) price of his only Son.

Although I am a virgin, and don't sin excessively or habitually - I still realise that I am a whore somedays. Praise God, He is willing to buy me back.

No comments: