Monday, September 11, 2006

I had a thouroughly engaging, fulfilling conversation with a certain Miss Rachel Mandrino. We went to broken bridges and I told her about my mother winning Citizen of the Year. We drove all over Toccoa and talked about faith. We walked on church street and discussed our lives and how they connect with those of others. It was an excellent conversation.

I feel so often that I don't make for good conversation. I feel that I am too concerned with being right (or at least being seen as being right) to be an effective conversationalist. Sometimes I'm too random, too eager, or too pesimistic. But, tonight I had a lovely discussion. I have come to the point in some of my thoughts that I realize I have something worth saying. Not that I have everything figured out (I can't even do my own laundry well.), or that I'm always right (I don't have the willpower to put down a fricken donut.), or that my viewpoints are inspired (my prayers still bounce off the ceiling sometimes), or that my liberal grace filled view of Christianity makes me a nicer person (I'm practically Prof Collier I'm so sarcastic.) --- But, I feel that I've made a lot of mistakes to get to the point where I am that I don't want my friends to make.

So, I'm going to make it a point to have more good conversations. I'm going to make it a point to talk to more people everyday. To make my points known and to tell people about this God of love and grace that I serve. There is something freeing about grace that I think is important enough that I don't mind falling on my face a few times to get the message out to the people.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Michael, I love talking to you. Yes, you are very random sometimes. (No, make that most of the time.) --that's what makes you so unique.

Never stop being yourself, because, in the grand scheme of this life as we know it, your skill with laundry detergent won't matter; neither will your politics. The important part of you is that you are welcoming to others and try your damndest to live for Christ every second of your life. You bring out the best in me and in everyone around you. Praise God for that.