Monday, September 25, 2006

I have been offered a job as a youth leader ... again. I think that this is God's way of showing that His sense of humor is really very very funny. Over the summer I was basically offered a job as a youth leader at a United Methodist church. I was so shocked - I'm only 19 and have no experience. I never applied. This Sunday I was basically offered a job at a different United Methodist church.

I'm on steroids that give me mood swings and I'm not allowed to make any major decisions while I'm on them. I, for the first time, can finally see myself in a position like this. I see how God has been preparing me for a ministry like this. My involvment with youth ministry at the local, district, conference, and jurisdictional level is a great amount of experience. I know exactly what my limitations are. I know that I'm not a charismatic personality. The fact that I am young is exciting to me. I'm also mature enough to realize what a church will go for and what the will rebel against.

I told God very specifically that I would not do youth ministry. I didn't particularly like teenagers. I didn't have much interest in ministry with youth. This summer God blew all of my perceptions about youth ministry away. I want to have engaging relationships with youth and help them on thier path towards God.

So, I'm praying about that. I just feel that God will work out all of the details if I am really called to do it. With the drama ministry and the new church plant I'm not sure how things will work out, but already I feel a peace about it. I'm just waiting to be off the steroids and see if that peace is just a continued mood swing or if it is the real thing.

No comments: