Tuesday, September 05, 2006

We talked about Mary in class today. It's not often that we discuss Mary at Bible College. I mean, we hate catholics because they talk about *cough worship cough* Mary. (The second cough was especially deep since I have an unidentified disease which makes me sound like I'm coughing up both lungs.) We also don't talk about her because she is a woman ... and whenever a bunch of fundamental evangelical conservatives start a discussion about a woman who God used in a powerful way everyone gets a little uncomfortable. Especially since it was her uterus that made her so special.

We talked about how God used her - how God chose, called, coveted, prepared, sent, guided, and used her to be more specific. It was nice to be able to talk about Mary. She was a tough ol' woman. I'm not talking about the fact that she birthed God in a manger - eh, it happens -, but rather that she watched them kill her son without lashing out at God. I lash out at God when I don't get the cookie I wanted for desert. I have pneumonia (i found out in the middle of writing this post) and I really want to lash out at God. How tought must Mary have been to watch her son - of whom God had promised great things about - die a criminal's death.

God wants to use all Christians. That still some Christians don't believe God could call a woman to preach is hilarious to me. Oh, yeah, women can birth the son of God, but they better not speak in church. Give me a break - Give God a break.

No comments: