Sunday, September 03, 2006

"You ought to live your life with so much freedom and joy that most uptight Christians doubt your salvation." - Steve Brown

I won't lie. A lot of people probably doubt my salvation. I know it probably sounds pretty strange to hear that for most of you who know me, but in reality a lot of Toccoa Falls students don't think I'm a Christian. All of my friends from the community know where I stand on everything. My friends at church know how dedicated I am to my God - they know that I'm forgiven.

I won't play the TFC games.

The TFC Games:

1st event - pretending to be perfect
2nd event - pretending to be at least better than most people
3rd event - pretending to not doubt
4th event - pretending to have compassion
5th event - pretending to love everyone

The games are a grueling event - and when you throw in finding a spouse and keeping decent grades - it's too much for any one person to handle. So people come to Toccoa being good devote Christians, play the games for 4 years, and leave disollutioned and unhappy.

I don't have the energy to play the games. I won't play the games. But, everyone will like me ... and if I want to have friends ... and ... what if people find out who I truly am?

Here's who I truly am.

My name is Michael Blaine Airgood. I'm a Christian, a United Methodist, and a fighter. In that order. I love God and I try to love others. I mess up - a bunch. I don't love others enough. I've never loved God enough. I believe in Grace - it's sufficient. I don't know if I believe everythign in the Bible. I know that's alright. I sometimes doubt God. But, I can always see the change he has made in my life. I'm a liberal. I am a moderate politically and an independent theologically. I live liberally, I love generously, I screw up hard core. I think that makes me a liberal. I don't want to put God in a box, but I know that when I say that I put up some boxes in my mind I want to keep God in. I don't love money, but I like having it - I love being generous with my money. I love God and I try to love others. I'm a Christian, a United Methodist, and a fighter. My name is Michael Blaine Airgood.

That's who I truly am. I won't win any awards in the TFC games this semester, I won't be popular, and I might lose some friends. I won't regret it. I don't think you can ever regret following God's will.

No comments: