Thursday, September 21, 2006

Of S, Z, and Theology

I love my sociolinguistics class. We are learning how our mouths move to create the sounds we make. It is to prepare us for learning a foreign language - an ethnocentric American learning a foreign language would just use the English language sounds to speak the foreign language (like people leaving out the twirling R in spanish) but the well learned cross cultural studies major will figure out how the mouth moves to form the non-English sounds. It's very interesting to think about how we make the sounds we do.

The most interesting thing so far is learning two very different letters. Make an S sound and then slide into the Z sound. Did you try it yet. It's okay - everyone around you already thinks you're weird. Your mouth doesn't move. At all. Your lips, tongue, and teeth all stay in exactly the same place. The only difference is that one is voiced and the other isn't. You make a weird humming throat sound to differentiate. S is the most used letter consonant in the English alphabet. We only use Z for zoo, zebra, and xylapho... no wait. Sorry.

So, here's my thought. In Christian theology we have a left and a right. We bicker constantly and often doubt the other's salvation. People damn me to hell for being a liberal - I guess because God's just been too lazy so they will help Him out (?). We consider our theology so far from the other side's. I think that in all reality all theology is so extremely close.
(Disclamer: I'm not including groups so far to the right that they expound hate for everyone different than themselves - or those so far to the left that they deny the deity of Christ) It's all in how we view it. I don't think any of the mainline views are wrong. I don't think any of them are right. I think that being theologically independent is a good thing. I know almost no Christian that I don't consider a brother.

We view S and Z so differently and we veiw the left and the right in the same way, but really they are closer than one would ever think.

No comments: