Thursday, September 28, 2006

I had to leave a class today because I was so agitated and restless. I was really enjoying what we were learning - but I was so on edge that I decided to leave before I broke down.

Now, on to blogging.

We keep trying to give babies chocolate bunnies to eat.

My sister's first Easter was spent with an unruly great aunt and the rest of the fam. The older woman was holding Rebecca and brought out the Easter gift, a chocolate bunny rabbit. It was Rebeccca's first solid food. She could have only been a month or two months old. Rebecca quitely ate a good portion of the chocolate bunny before our great aunt gave the baby back to mom - who quickly took the gooey chocolate mess away from my sister. Rebecca was very sick for a good while because of the "chocolate bunny fiasco."

I love hearing this story. Mom tells it so well.

I think of this story when I hear my friends debating theology - especially when they are talking to struggling Christians, pre-christians, or hostile non-christians. These wonderful people are talking to people who are barely drinking spiritual milk ... and they are trying to get them to eat chocolate bunnies.

Does every Christian struggling with living out his or her faith need a proper eschatological viewpoint? Do non-christians really need to know whether they are a calvanist or a wesleyan-arminiast? Does a spritual baby need to eat chocolate? Does chocolate have any nutritional value to a baby? No. Could it hurt the baby? Yes. Could debating unnecessary things about theology hurt a new Christian? Heck yeah.

I'm all up for debate. But, we need to work our way up to solid food ... and maybe later we could try some fat inducing chocolate.

No comments: