Friday, September 22, 2006

Perhaps I'm not the most eloquent theologian. Perhaps I swear a little too much. Maybe I don't know all the answers. Maybe I'm too confident when I proudly proclaim that I don't know the answer to a question. Perhaps I speak a little too much heresy. Maybe I take a "your mom" joke beyond the level of decency - perhaps all sex jokes go beyond that level of decency.

I love the story of Hosea. I just finished watching "Memoirs of a Geisha." It's a beautiful modern day Hosea story. In the final scene the Chairman; the man she has loved since she was a little girl, the man who had caught her in a horrible sex act, and the man she still loved even though she felt trapped in a horrible world that prized her sexuality; tells her that although the other men who have loved, used, and abused her don't have it in their character to forgive - but he forgives her. He still loves her.

"I'm sorry, I'm too much of a whore to listen to you." - Me. I'm a whore. (It's okay I'm still a virgin and I don't do any of the "big sins.") I run from God some times. I get angry at God some time. I choose my sin over my savior some days. I'm not proud of it, but I do it any way. I understand Paul - as often as we try to elevate Paul into the Saint we have built - but he chose his sin over his savior some days.

My "Elitist Lover," Rachel, and I were talking about her passion for writing and if she always enjoyed writing. She asked me if ever got tired of telling peopel about Jesus. The answer? Yes. Some days I lose all compassion, inspiration, and faith. I don't want to tell people about Jesus on those days. I don't want to tell my friends about His grace - let alone build relationships with strangers to share my faith. I'm not proud of that.

I believe that God's grace is sufficient. I hate to oversimply the Gospel ... but when we have a message that has been over complicated and stripped bear of love ... well, I don't mind oversimplifying the Gospel. I love grace - at times when I least want to think of theology, anthropology, or church politics I can think of His grace - it makes things better. That's what it does. It makes my whorish life better. It makes my compassionlessness better. It makes my sense of humor better. I'm so thankful for grace.

No comments: